First of all I am a Physicist, second a Condensed Matter Physicist, but I am interested in many other things. At present I am mainly interested in ordered aperiodic structures such as quasicrystals and modulated crystals, but also more exotic structures going beyond that. Recently I worked on applications of the cluster approach to crystalline structures, both periodic and aperiodic, as well as the hierarchical organization of matter. At present I focus on hybrid quasiperiodic-periodic structures constructed by cut-and-projection from superspace to 3D so that a second cut-and-projection yields a 2D quasiperiodic structure.
active part in seminars and workshops on nanostructures as well as biophysics.
I work also in the field of statistical physics. In metrology I am trying to propagate a redefinition of SI base units in terms of the von Klitzing and Josephson constants.
For a decade or so I have worked on liquid crystals.
I started my scientific career with the study
of defects, mainly dislocations. I
have remained faithful to that subject ever since and have looked for defects in
crystals, liquid crystals and aperiodic crystals.
Research in progress
· Local configurations in aperiodic structures: beyond first order and beyond icosahedral quasicrystals
· Cluster approach to aperiodic crystals – generalizations
· Dodecagonal tilings – generalizations
· Rectangle-triangle tilings – generalizations
· Constructing quasiperiodic structures by cut-and-projection in several stages