Prof. Avia Spivak
||Department of Economics
Ben-Gurion University of the Negev
P.O. Box 653
Beer-Sheva 84105, Israel
Research Interests |
General Information |
Working Papers |
- Macroeconomics and Monetary Theory
- Economics of Uncertainty and Insurance
|Ph.D. in Economics, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel|
|M.A. in Economics, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel|
|B.A. in Economics and History, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel|
Academic and Public Appointments
- 2002 - 2006
|Deputy Governor, Bank of Israel. Areas of resposibility: Financial Stability Team, Comptroller's office, Currency department.|
- 1996 - present
|Professor of Economics, Department of Economics, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Beer-Sheva, Israel|
- 1991 - present
|Incumbent of the Paul Ivanier Chair for Managerial Economics|
- 1988 - 1996
|Associate Professor of Economics, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev|
- 1988 (summer)
|Visiting Fellow, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, U.S.A.|
- 1983 - 1988
|Senior Lecturer with Tenure, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev|
|Visiting Professor of Economics, Boston University, U.S.A.|
- 1983 - 1985
|Visiting Lecturer of Economics, University of Pennsylvania, U.S.A.|
- 1979 - 1983
|Lecturer of Economics, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev|
- 1978 - 1979
|Visiting Assistant Professor, University of California, U.S.A.|
- 1977 - 1978
|Visiting Assistant Professor, Brown University, U.S.A.|
- 1975 - 1977
|Instructor, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev|
Honors and Awards
|Shoenbrun prize for best Ph.D. Thesis|
|Mif'al Hapais prize for outstanding M.A. Thesis|
Macroeconomics and Monetary policy
- A. Arnon, I. Luski A. Spivak and J. Weinblatt: The Palestinian Economy in the West Bank and Gaza Strip: From Imposed Integration to Voluntary Separation, A book published by: E.J. Brill, Leiden, The Netherlands, 1997.
- A. Arnon and A. Spivak, eds., "Government Involvement in Immigrant Absorption", A Symposium published in: The Economic Quarterly, No. 149, pp. 298-331, September 1991 (Hebrew).
- A. Spivak and J. Weinblatt, "Industrialists' Expectations in Israel" in: Studies in the Economics of Israel, 1982 (Hebrew).
- A. Spivak and J. Weinblatt, "The Variability of Real Wages in Israel" in: Studies in the Economics of Israel, 1981 (Hebrew).
- A. Arnon and A. Spivak: "Monetary Integration between the Israeli, Jordanian and Palestinian Economies", Weltwirschftliches Archives, Vol. 132 (2), pp.259-271, 1996.
- A. Arnon, A. Spivak: "On the Introduction of a Palestinian Currency", The Middle East Business and Economic Review, Vol. 8 (1), pp.1-14, January 1996.
- A. Arnon and A. Spivak: "Remarks on 'The Protocol on Economic Relations' between Israel and the Palestinians - the Monetary Aspect", The Economic Quarterly, Anno 42, No.1, pp. 155-159, April 1995. (Hebrew).
- A. Levy, A. Spivak: "How does the Public Perceive an Unprecedented Rise in Inflation: The Case of Inflationary Expectations in Israel", Journal of Macroeconomics, Vol.10, No. 2, pp. 273-82, Spring 1988.
- A. Spivak, J. Weinblatt and B.Z. Zilberfarb, "Inflation and Wage Indexation with Multiperiod Contracts", European Economic Review, Vol. 31, pp. 1299-312, 1987.
- U. Litvin, L. Meridor and A. Spivak, "Inflation and the Money Supply Process in Israel", in: Bank of Israel Review, No. 62, pp. 63-79, June 1987 (Hebrew).
- A. Spivak, J. Weinblatt and B.Z. Zilberfarb, "Wage Indexation and Economic Stability: An Empirical Result", Economics Letters, Vol. 17, pp. 331-3, 1985.
- A. Spivak: "The Pension Fund Reform". In: Avi Ben-Bassat (ed.) The Israeli Economy, 1985-1998, From Government intervention to Market Economics pp. 221-242, The MIT Press, Cambridge MA, 2002.
- Also in: A. Ben-Bassat (ed): The Israeli Economy 1985-1998: From Market Intervention to Market Economics, pp.257-290. (Hebrew), Am-Oved Publishers, Tel-Aviv, 2001.
- E. Terkel and A. Spivak: "Towards Mandatory Pension Coverage in Israel" The Economic Quarterly, pp. 317-334, 2001.(Hebrew).
- Y. Lavi and A. Spivak: "The Impact of Pension Schemes on Saving in Israel", Applied Economics vol. 31, pp. 761-774, 1999.
- Also as: Y. Lavi and A. Spivak: "The Impact of Pension Reform on Saving and the Capital Markets in Israel: Alternative Scenarios", The Economic Quarterly, Anno 43, No.1 , pp. 202-235, 1996. (Hebrew)
- A. Spivak: "The Pension Crisis in Israel: A Conceptual Framework and Possible Solutions", The Economic Quarterly, Anno 41, No. 3, pp. 484-523, October 1994.(Hebrew).
- L.J. Kotlikoff, J. Shoven and A. Spivak, "Annuity Markets, Savings and the Capital Stock" in Z. Bodie, J. Shoven, D. Wise (eds.) Issues in Pension Economics, Chicago University Press, 1987.
- L.J. Kotlikoff, J. Shoven and A. Spivak, "The Effect of Annuity Insurance on Savings and Inequality", Journal of Labor Economics, Vol. 4, pp. 183-207, 1986.
- Also in: L.J. Kotlikoff: What Determines Savings? MIT Press: Cambridge MA and London, 1989, pp. 109-140.
- L.J. Kotlikoff, A. Spivak and L.H. Summers, "The Adequacy of Savings", American Economic Review, Vol. 72, pp. 1056-69, December 1982.
- Also in: L.J. Kotlikoff, ibid, pp. 429-54.
- L.J. Kotlikoff and A. Spivak, "The Family as an Incomplete Annuities Market", Journal of Political Economy, Vol. 89, No. 2, pp. 372-91, April 1981.
- Also in: L.J. Kotlikoff, ibid, pp. 88-108.
Economics of Uncertainty and Insurance
- R. Barniv, F. Schroath, and A. Spiva: "The Relationship Between Deductibles and Wealth: The Case of Flood Insurance," Journal of Insurance Issues, Vol. 22, No. 1, pp. 78-97, Spring 1999.
- U. Segal and A. Spivak: "First Order of Risk Aversion and Non-Differentiability", Economic Theory, Vol. 9, pp.179-183, 1997.
- Z. Safra, U. Segal and A. Spivak, "Preference Reversal and Non-Expected Utility Behavior", American Economic Review, Vol. 80, pp. 922-30, 1990.
- U. Segal and A. Spivak, "First Order Versus Second Order of Risk Aversion", Journal of Economic Theory, Vol. 51, pp. 111-25, June 1990.
- Z. Safra, U. Segal and A. Spivak, "The Becker-DeGroot-Marschak Mechanism and Nonexpected Utility: A Testable Approach", Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Vol. 3, No.2, pp. 177-190, June 1990.
- U. Segal and A. Spivak, "Non-Expected Utility Risk Premiums: The Cases of Probability Ambiguity and Outcome Uncertainty", Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Vol. 1, pp. 333-47, 1988.
- U. Segal, A. Spivak and J. Zeira, "Precautionary Saving and Risk Aversion: An Anticipated Utility Approach", Economics Letters, vol 27, pp. 223-227, 1988.
- U. Segal and A. Spivak, "Firm Size and Optimal Growth Rates", European Economic Review, Vol. 33, pp. 159-67, 1989.
- M. Cherkes, J. Friedman and A. Spivak, "The Disinterest in Deregulation: A Comment", American Economic Review, Vol. 76, pp. 559-63, 1986.
- U. Segal and A. Spivak, "On the Single Membership Constituency and the Law of Large Numbers: A Note", Public Choice, Vol. 49, pp. 183-90, 1986.
- A. Spivak, "Efficient Allocations under a General Transaction Technology", Journal of Economic Theory, Vol.22, No. 3, pp. 465-76, June 1980.
- A. Spivak, "A Note on Arrow-Hahn's Resource-Relatedness (or McKenzie's Irreducibility)", International Economic Review, Vol. 19, No. 2, pp. 527-31, June 1978.
|Paper presented at the Brussels Conference on Peace in the Middle East, "Alternative Monetary Regimes for the West Bank and Gaza, Israel and Jordan".|
|Co-organizer, International Conference on Current Issues in Social Security and Pensions, Ben-Gurion University.|
|Paper presented at the First Congress of the European Economic Association, "On the Efficiency and Stability of Marriage", Vienna, 1986.|
|Summer Institute, National Bureau of Economic Research on Social Security and Uncertainty, Boston.|
|Invited lecture at The American Enterprise Institute on the Economic Crisis in Israel ,Washington.|