- Ph.D. University of Chicago, 1976
- Political sociology
- Economic sociology
- The social organization and political economy of cooperative agricultural settlements in Israel
- Agricultural R&D organizations
- The political economy of Israel
- The political economy of agriculture in Africa
- Agricultural settlement projects in the developing world
- Human contributions to desertification
- The political economy of natural resource management
Professional activities and distinctions
- Researcher in Social Sciences, Department of Man in the Desert, Jacob Blaustein Institute for Desert Research, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Sede Boqer Campus.
- 198095: Senior Researcher, Development Study Centre, Rehovot (Applied Research Institute).
- Numerous organizational consultancies in Israel and abroad.
- Working papers for the Commission to Examine the Situation of Agriculture and Village Life, appointed by Israel’s Minister of Agriculture (Hebrew).
- 197071: Book Review Editor of the American Journal of Sociology.
- 196872: Fellow - Center for Social Organization Studies at the University of Chicago.
- 2002: Pasternak Prize for Academic Achievement Yad Ben-Gurion, 2002.
Has published widely in Israel and abroad, including:
- Schwartz M., Unlimited Guarantees: History and Political Economy in the Cooperative Agriculture of Israel: The Purchasing Cooperatives, the System, and the Moshavim Before and After the Crisis. Jerusalem: Ben-Gurion University Press, 1995 (Hebrew)
- Schwartz M., Planned Change in a Well-To-Do Negev Kibbutz. Yad Tabenkin: Ramat Ephal, 2000 (Hebrew).
- Schwartz M. and Hare P., Foreign Experts and Unsustainable Development: Applying Israeli Experience to Zambia, Nigeria and Nepal. Ashgate Publishing House. Aldershot, UK, 2000.
- Gluhih R., Lerman Z. and Schwartz M., “Land Reform in Turkmenistan: Does it work?” International Business and Economics Research Journal, Vol. 2, No. 2, pp. 94-104, 2002.
- Rueff H., Kressel, G. and Schwartz M., “Forest fire control and Bedouin pastoralism in Israel’s dryland afforestation: A cost benefit analysis,” Nomadic Peoples, Vol.8. No. 1, 2004.
- Schwartz M., “From Agricultural Cooperative to Rural Settlement. The story of the Israeli Moshav: “‘Freezing’ and Rapid Change in an evolving Environment” Horizons in Geography (Hebrew) 59: 11-35, 2004.
Research in Progress
- With Henri Rueff: “The contribution of the Yatir forest to Israel’s Economy and Society A Cost Benefit Analysis of Dryland Forestry,” funded by the European Union through Icarda and the World Bank.
- With Phoenix Lawhon: “The political economy of standard making: the case of treated wastewater and biosolids use in Israel,” funded by the European Union through Icarda and the World Bank.
- With Arnon Karnieli and Pedro Berliner: “Assessing Human Impact on Land Cover Changes in Mali Using Remote Sensing Methods and Geographical Information Systems, funded by USAID. Expected completion: end of 2007.
- With Pedro Berliner, Arnon Karnieli and Lea Orlovsky: “Agricultural Potential for Indigenous Water Harvesting in the Karakum Desert,” funded by USAID. Expected completion: end of 2006.