Prof. Mark I. Shliomis
Department of Mechanical Engineering,
Ben-Gurion University of the Negev,
P.O. Box 653, Beer-Sheva 84105, Israel.
Areas of Expertise:
- Physics and Hydrodynamics of Magnetic Liquids (Ferrofluids): basic equations;
magnetoviscosity (positive and negative contributions); magnetization relaxation;
magnetic resonance in nanoparticles, formation of magnetic particle chains. Critical
phenomena: surface instability; convective instability: influence of magnetophoresis and
Soret effect; chain-globule phase transition.
- Hydrodynamics of Liquid Paramagnetics: basic equations; intertwinement of
Einstein-de-Haas and Barnett effects; convective instability in liquids with gyromagnetic
- Critical Phenomena in Hydrodynamics and Magnetohydrodynamics: hydrodynamic fluctuations
near the onset of convection; convective instability of conductive fluids in magnetic fields,
rotating fluids, colloids stratified by gravity; onset of wave resistance as a critical phenomenon.
- Liquid-Crystalline Polymers: interdependence of orientational ordering and mechanical
properties; kinetics of isotropic-nematic phase transition; influence of the length and elasticity
of macromolecules on the phase transitions.
Dr. Sc. in Physics, Institute for Metal Physics of the Russian Academy of
Sciences, Ekaterinbourg, Russia.
Thesis: On the Problems of Hydrodynamics of Liquid Magnetics.
Ph. D. in Physics, University of Perm, Russia.
Thesis: Oscillatory Perturbations of the Equilibrium of a Viscous
M. Sc. in Physics, University of Perm, Russia.
Thesis: Absorption of ultrasound in electrolytes.
||Ben-Gurion University of the Negev
||Doshisha University, Kyoto, Japan (Visiting Professor)
|Universities of Bayreuth and Saarlandes, Germany (Humboldt Professor)
||Institute National Polytechnique de Lorraine, Nancy, France (Visiting Professor)
||University of Pierre and Marie Curie (Paris 6), France (Professor P.A.S.T.)
|| Institute of Fluid Science, Tohoku University, Sendai, Japan (Visiting Professor)
||Institute of Continuous Media Mechanics of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Perm, Russia (Head of Department of Theoretical Physics)
||Institute of Continuous Media Mechanics of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Perm, Russia (Senior Researcher)
||University of Perm, Perm, Russia (Professor)
||University of Perm, Perm, Russia (Assistant Professor)
||University of Perm, Perm, Russia (Lecturer)
Honors and Grants
List of Publications (, 57 KB)
- Grant of the United States-Israel Binational Science Foundation (BSF), 2005.
- INTAS (European Community) grant, 2003.
- Grants of the Israel Science Foundation, 2000, 2003.
- The Lise Meitner-Alexander von Humboldt Research Award for the Scientific Cooperation
between Israel and Germany, 1999.
- The Japanese Society for Promotion of Science (JSPS) Research Award for the Scientific
Cooperation between Israel and Japan, 1995, 2005.
- Honored Scientist of the Russian Federation, since 1991.
- Member of the International Steering Committee on Magnetic Fluids, since 1989.
- Member of the Scientific Council on Magnetism of the Russian Academy of Sciences, 1979-1994.