- 2005 . . . Ph.D. in Architecture, The University of Adelaide, Australia.
- 1995 . . . Master of Arts in Geography and Environmental Development, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, Beer-Sheva, Israel.
- 1986 . . . Bachelor of Architecture and Town Planning, Technion, Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa, Israel.
Topics in desert architecture and related fields including:
- Modeling the urban micro-climate
- Advanced glazing systems
- Visual comfort in buildings
- Passive heating and cooling of buildings
- Thermal comfort in buildings
- Airborne dust in the urban environment and urban design in the desert
Professional activities and distinctions
- Researcher in Desert Architecture and Urban Planning, Blaustein Institute for Desert Research, Ben-Gurion University, Israel (since 1986).
- Israel Standards Institute:
Head: Committee 114 - Thermal Insulation of Buildings.
Member: expert sub-committees
- 114.01 - Classification of Settlements to Climate Zones
- 114.02 - Thermal Insulation Properties of Materials and Building Elements
- 114.03 - Thermal Insulation of Public Buildings
- 1204.01 - Energy Labeling of Buildings.
- 113.19 - Energy labeling of glazing systems.
- Teaching: Associate Professor in the "Man in the Drylands" program at The Albert Katz International School for Desert Studies and at the Dept. of Geography and Environmental Development.
- Has consulted on a variety of projects involving climatic and energy related issues.
- Received the 'Best Paper' Award at the 2000 PLEA International Conference in Cambridge, UK, for the paper, "A GIS framework for studying post-occupancy climate-related changes in residential neighborhoods" (with Y. Etzion, B. Portnov, I. Meir and D. Pearlmutter).
- Received the Haim Sheba Prize for excellence, awarded by the David & Paula Ben-Gurion Fund (jointly with I. A. Meir and D. Pearlmutter - 1988).
- Is a registered architect in Israel.
Co-edited "Architecture of the Extremes, Proceedings of the PLEA '94 Conference" (with Y. Etzion, I.A. Meir and D. Pearlmutter);
Co-author of several books:
Author of numerous scientific papers, including:
- Portnov B. and Erell E. (2001) Urban Clustering: The Benefits and Drawbacks of Location, Ashgate, Aldershot, 317p.
- Portnov, B. and Erell, E. (2003) Interregional Inequalities in Israel: 1948-1995 Census Data, Israel Central Bureau of Statistics, Jerusalem, 165p.
- Yannas, S., Erell, E. and Molina, J.L. (2006) Roof Cooling Techniques - A Design Handbook, James & James Science Publishers, London, 332p.
- Erell E., Pearlmutter D. and Williamson T. (2010) Urban Microclimate: Designing the Spaces Between Buildings. Earthscan/James & James Science Publishers,
, 266p. London
- Shashua-Bar L., Pearlmutter D. and Erell E. (2011) The influence of trees and grass on outdoor thermal comfort in a hot-arid environment, International Journal of Climatology, 31(10): 1498–1506.
- Shashua Bar L., Erell E. and Pearlmutter D. (2009) The cooling efficiency of urban landscape strategies in a hot dry climate, Landscape and Urban Planning 92(3-4):179-186.
- Erell E. (2008) The application of urban climate research in the design of cities, Advances in Building Energy Research, 2:95-121.
- Williamson T. and Erell E. (2008) The Implications for Building Ventilation of the Spatial and Temporal Variability of Air Temperature in the Urban Canopy Layer," International Journal of Ventilation, 7(1):23-35.
- Erell E., Pearlmutter D. and Etzion Y. (2008) A Multi-Stage Down-Draft Evaporative Cool Tower for Semi-Enclosed Spaces: Aerodynamic Performance, Solar Energy, 82(5):420-429.
- Pearlmutter D., Erell E. and Etzion Y. (2008) A Multi-Stage Down-Draft Evaporative Cool Tower for Semi-Enclosed Spaces: Experiments with a water spraying system, Solar Energy, 82(5):430-440.
- Erell E. and Williamson T. (2007) Intra-urban differences in canopy layer air temperature at a mid-latitude city, International Journal of Climatology, 27:1243-1255.
- Erell E. and Williamson T. (2006) Simulating air temperature in an urban street canyon in all weather conditions using measured data at a reference meteorological station, International Journal of Climatology 26(12):1671-1694.
- Erell E., Leal V. and Maldonado E. (2005) Measurement of air temperature in the presence of a large radiant flux: An assessment of passively ventilated thermometer screens, Boundary Layer Meteorology 114:205-231.
- Erell E., Etzion Y., Carlstrom N., Sandberg M., Molina J., Maestre I., Maldonado E., Leal V. and Gutschker O. (2004) SOLVENT: Development of a reversible solar-screen glazing system, Energy and Buildings, 36:468-480.
- Erell E., Portnov B. and Etzion, E. (2003) Mapping the potential for climate-conscious design of buildings, Building & Environment, 38 (2):271-281.
- Erell E. and Etzion Y. (2000) Radiative cooling of buildings with flat-plate solar collectors, Building & Environment, 35(4):297-305.
- Erell E. and Tsoar H. (1999) Spatial variations in the aeolian deposition of dust - the effect of a city: A case study in Be’er Sheva, Israel, Atmospheric Environment, 33:4049-4055.
- Pearlmutter D., Etzion Y., Erell E., Meir I.A., Di H., (1996) Refining the use of evaporation in an experimental down-draft cool tower, Energy and Buildings, 23(3):191-197.
Architectural design projects
Has participated in several innovative design projects including:
BACK TO TOP BACK TO PERSONNEL