- 2006 . . . PhD in Architecture and Town Planning, Technion - Israel Institute of Technology (Israel)
- 1996 . . . Master of Arts in Geography and Environmental Development, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Beer-Sheva (Israel)
- 1986 . . . Bachelor of Architecture, University of Texas at Austin (U.S.A.)
Topics in desert architecture and related fields, including:
- Bioclimatic design, focusing on the geometry and energetic properties of building envelopes and elements
- Passive and low-energy technologies for heating and cooling
- Urban microclimate, energy balance and thermal comfort in open spaces
- Sustainable development and appropriate planning for sparsely populated desert regions
Professional activities and distinctions
- Senior Researcher in Desert Architecture and Urban Planning, Blaustein Institutes for Desert Research, Ben-Gurion University, Israel since 1987 (Senior Lecturer since 1996).
- Received the 'Best Paper' Award at the 1998 PLEA International Conference in Lisbon, Portugal, for the paper, "Street canyon geometry and microclimate: Designing for urban comfort under arid conditions."
- Received the 'Best Paper' Award at the 2000 PLEA International Conference in Cambridge, UK, for the paper, "A GIS framework for studying post-occupancy climate-related changes in residential neighborhoods" (with Y. Etzion, B. Portnov, E. Erell and I. Meir).
- Received the 'Best Paper' Award at the 2003 International Conference on Urban Climate student competition in Lodz, Poland, for the paper, "Development of a scale-modeling technique for urban microclimatic analysis" (with P. Berliner and E. Shaviv).
- Received the 'Best Paper' Award at the 2003 PLEA International Conference in Santiago, Chile, for the paper, "Analyzing the microclimatic influence of urban canyon geometry with an open-air scale model" (with P. Berliner and E. Shaviv).
- Has taught in schools of architecture and environmental design in Israel, and is on the faculty of the Albert Katz International School for Desert Studies, as a senior lecturer in the "Man in the Drylands" program.
- Has consulted and lectured in Israel on a wide variety of projects involving climatic and energy related issues.
- Served on technical committee for 11th PLEA International Conference, Dead Sea, Israel (1994).
- Organized interdisciplinary team for the Sustainable Community Solutions international competition initiated by the AIA & IUA (1992-1993).
- Received the Haim Sheba Prize for excellence, awarded by the David & Paula Ben-Gurion Fund, for the design of the Blaustein International Center for Desert Studies building at the Sede-Boqer Campus (jointly with I. A. Meir and E. Erell - 1988).
- Is a founding member of the steering committee for the Blaustein Institute Computer-mediated Communication Center.
- Is a registered architect in Israel.
Bar-Ilan Y., Pearlmutter D. and Tal A., Bulding Green: Promoting energy efficiency in Israel, Center for Urban and Regional Planning, Technion – Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa, 187p.
Erell E., Pearlmutter D. and Williamson T., Urban climate: Designing Spaces Between Buildings, Earthscan/James & James Science Publishers, London, 266p.
Pearlmutter, D., Erell E., Meir I.A., Etzion Y. and Rofe Y., Design Manual for Bioclimatic Building in Israel, Israel Ministry of National Infrastructures, Jerusalem, 144p (in Hebrew).
- Shapiro, D., Pearlmutter D. and Schwartz M. (2012) "The emergence of rural transport strategies in response to rising fuel costs," Energy Policy 44: 92–100.
- Shashua-Bar, L., Pearlmutter D. and Erell E. (2011) "The influence of trees and grass on outdoor thermal comfort in a hot-arid environment," International Journal of Climatology 31:1498-1506.
- Grimmond, C.S.B., Roth M., Oke T.R., Au Y.C., Best M., Bettse R., Carmichael G., Cleugh H., Dabberdt W., Emmanuel R., Freitas E., Fortuniak K., Hanna S., Klein P., Kalkstein L.S., Liu C.H., Nickson A., Pearlmutter D., Sailor D. and Voogt J. (2010) "Climate and More Sustainable Cities: Climate Information for Improved Planning and Management of Cities," Procedia Environmental Sciences 1:247-274.
- Cohen, J., Pearlmutter D. and Schwartz M. (2010) "Lifestyle and energy consumption: a comparison of four collective communities in transition," Energy Efficiency 3(1):19-31.
- Pearlmutter D., Krueger E.L. and Berliner P. (2009) "The role of evaporation in the energy balance of an open-air scaled urban surface," International Journal of Climatology 29:911-920.
- Shashua Bar L., Erell E. and Pearlmutter D. (2009) "The cooling efficiency of urban landscape strategies in a hot dry climate," Landscape and Urban Planning 92(3-4):179-186.
- Krueger E.L. and Pearlmutter, D. (2008)